David T. PodeinPartner
A substantial portion of Mr. Podein’s practice involves representation of community associations in the financing, approvals, and contract negotiation for multi-million dollar capital improvement, repair, and/or building upgrade projects. Additionally, Mr. Podein represents real estate developers, investors, joint venture, lenders/servicers, and landlords in connection with real estate related transactions, including commercial and shopping center leasing, landlord tenant negotiations, long-term ground leases and development agreements, distressed asset based transitions, and loan work outs and restructurings.
Mr. Podein also serves as outside general counsel to companies located in South Florida. Mr. Podein’s experience in both litigation and transactional matters enable him to offer a broad and practical perspective to his clients.
Mr. Podein received his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Michigan in 2005, and his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Miami School of Law in 2008. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Podein interned with the Honorable Judge Gill Freeman in the Complex Business Litigation Division of the 11th Judicial Circuit in Miami-Dade County, Florida.
J.D., University of Miami School of Law, Coral Gables, Florida, 2008
- Honors: Dean's Merit Scholarship 2005-2008
- Honors: Semi-Finalist Moot Court Board Mock Trial Competition
- Honors: Who's Who Among American Law Students 2008
B.A., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 2005
- Honors: NSCS Honor Society, Phi Sigma Theta National Honor Society
- Major: Political Science
U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida, 2010
Miami-Dade County Bar Association
University of Miami School of Law Young Alumni Committee
Always Keep Pedaling Foundation
Board of Directors
Alumni Advisory Board
- Real Estate Development and Commercial Leasing. Lead counsel representing Florida based developer in negotiation and documentation of $40 million dollar ground lease and construction/development agreement with one of the largest global companies as the anchor tenant.
- Commercial Leasing. Lead counsel representing Florida based Landlord in drafting and documentation of master commercial tenant lease for use in shopping center plaza. Lead counsel-representing Florida based Landlord in numerous landlord tenant disputes – negotiate and document numerous lease addendum, assignments, forbearance agreements and other financial work-out packages.
- Construction Law/Condominium General Counsel. Lead associate representing multiple high-end condominium associations in South Florida. Negotiate and document construction contracts with general contractors, sub-contractors and project managers and manage all legal affairs of numerous multi-million dollar construction and repair projects on behalf of Association clients. Negotiate and document uniform lease addendums, restrictions and Association rights for Associations.
- General Counsel to numerous high-end condominium associations in South Florida with aggregate values in excess of One Billion Dollars. Manage and coordinate legal issues with the Board of Directors, advise and conduct Board meetings, corporate resolutions, amendments to governing documents. Negotiation and documentation of numerous vendor agreements for Association. Review and advise Board of Directors on enforcement of governing documents (Declaration, Covenants, Articles of Incorporation and Rules and Regulations), implementation of legal policies and memorandums on same.
- Commercial Real Estate/Finance/Litigation. Lead associate representing national loan servicer in one of the largest commercial property foreclosures in the history of Florida.
- Licensing. Lead outside general counsel for consumer products licensing company based in Miami. Lead counsel for the company in negotiation and documentation of products licensing agreements with the National Basketball Association and the Major Lease Baseball Players’ Association, and drafting of professional player endorsement and licensing agreements.
- Transactional. Lead counsel representing apparel design, marketing and manufacturing company in two sale transactions to purchasers of company’s private label apparel lines – including the transfer of intellectual property rights.
- Transactional. Lead associate representing real estate investor in acquisition of majority interest in development investment entity and negotiate and document amendments to company’s shareholders agreement and equity restructuring after sale transaction.
- Why Condominium Associations Must Carefully Evaluate Their Long-Standing Tenant Approval Policies
- Negotiating Property Management Contracts: Use of the Competitive Bidding Process By David Podein and Katrina Sosa
- Community Associations Beware! The Ramifications of the Updated Federal Overtime Regulation by David Podein and Roger Slade
- Older Floridians Handbook, Executive Editor
- David Podein named to 2015, 2016, and 2017 Florida Super Lawyers' Rising Stars
- Daily Business Review – Deal Makers: "Haber Slade Attorneys Work With Trio of Lenders to Secure Financial Deal"
- Florida Community Association Journal: "Rising in the Polls: Electronic Voting"
- Miami Herald - David Podein participates in the 170 mile Dolphins Cycling Challenge
- The Florida Law Journal, "Miami attorney David Podein triumphs with fellow cancer survivors on Alaskan mountain range"
- Dolphins Cancer Challenge – Why I Ride – Meet David Podein
- Attorneys to Condo Associations: Zika Litigation Won’t Bite
- The Real Deal interview about commercial loans and interest rates